Sunday, July 18, 2010

Driving from Rogersville, Mo to Topeka Ks

Missouri DOT decided to shutdown a portion of I435 West where 71 and I435 and I470 meet for some kind of construction work around 1pm today. What a disaster. They closed the road before getting up the proper signage about a detour for I435 West. We were heading north on 71. There was just one sign along the road about 1 mile before the turnoff which said something about I435 but the sign was not pointed at the correct angle to the road and the letters were changing at such a slow rate so you didnt get the complete message. They needed better signage and more of it. This is a fast paced section of the loop around Kansas City and they were way too lax about traffic control. The I435 West and the I470 North exit share the same turnoff and everyone got forced onto I470 and there were resulting accidents as a result of their lack of planning. They should have setup the detour path first and had the traffic flow going the right way before they shutdown the road. We were lucky that there was a hole in the traffic when this happened to us. Traffic moves really fast through this area and they dont make room for a 40 foot motorhome towing a vehicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment